In this longtime favorite VT recipe, Brussels sprouts get seared, then dressed up with walnuts and dried cranberries.
- 1/2-cup servingServings
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 shallots, halved and sliced (1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 tsp.)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
- 1 Tbs. agave syrup
- 1 Tbs. walnut oil
1. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts, and toast 3 to 4 minutes, or until fragrant. Transfer to plate, and set aside.
2. Wipe out skillet, and return to heat. Add olive oil, and swirl skillet to coat bottom. Add Brussels sprouts, and cook 5 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add shallots and garlic, and cook 1 minute more.
3. Stir in cranberries, agave, and 1 cup water. Partially cover skillet, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated and Brussels sprouts are just tender, but not soft. Transfer to serving bowl. Stir in walnut oil and toasted walnuts, and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 172
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 124 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g