Hearty bulgur adds a slightly nutty flavor in this satisfying combination. Carrots and peas give the dish fresh taste and vibrant color, but it's fine to use just onions and mushrooms if that's all you have on hand. A splash of tamari or soy sauce would make for a tangy finish.
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked bulgur
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 2 large carrots, peeled, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh basil, or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 or 3 large portobello mushroom caps, thickly diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- In medium saucepan, combine bulgur, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3 cups water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 7 minutes. Add mushrooms and peas, season lightly with salt and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir 15 seconds. Stir in cooked bulgur and basil and briefly heat through. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 10 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 214 mg