The key to success with this recipe is to thinly slice the butternut squash to ensure that it is fully cooked at the same time the dough is done.
- 2 sheets (17.5-oz. pkg.) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 12 oz. butternut squash, preferably neck portion, peeled
- ¼ cup prepared pesto
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Roll each puff pastry sheet out to 12-inch square on lightly floured work surface. Cut out 9 circles from each sheet using 31/2-inch circle mold. Reroll scraps and cut out 4 to 6 more circles. Place circles on prepared baking sheets.
3. Slice squash in half lengthwise and then peel into 1/16-inch-thick slices with vegetable peeler. Spread 1/2tsp. pesto on each pastry circle. Place 3 to 5 slices butternut squash, slightly overlapping, over pesto. Brush with oil, and season with pepper. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until squash is cooked through and pastry is golden.
- Serving Size: Makes 24 tarts
- Calories: 143
- Carbohydrate Content: 11 g
- Cholesterol Content: 1 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 124 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g