Here’s a convenience food to add to your shopping list: cubed butternut squash, which is now sold fresh or frozen at supermarkets and natural grocers. The precut cubes and prepared pesto make this recipe ideal for busy weeknights or impromptu dinner parties.
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cubed butternut squash (1 small squash)
- Bring broth and 2 cups water to a boil in large saucepan; turn off heat.
- Heat 1 Tbs. pesto in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes. Stir in rice, followed by 1/2 cup hot broth. When rice has absorbed broth, add another 1/2 cup. Continue adding broth in this manner 5 minutes.
- Stir in squash, and season with salt and pepper. Resume adding broth, 1/2 cup at a time until rice has absorbed all liquid. (This should take about 15 minutes.) Remove from heat, and stir in 1 Tbs. pesto. Spoon risotto into 6 bowls and top each with 1 tsp. pesto.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 204
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 349 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g