The original Shaker recipe for this delectable dish calls for pureeing 4 tablespoons of butter with the squash. Weve cut that to 1 tablespoonit adds a mellow quality, but even it can easily be omitted.
- 1 1/2 lbs. butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 Tbs. packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. butter (optional)
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- In large saucepan, cover squash with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Add cranberries. Cook until berries have popped and are soft, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well in colander.
- Transfer squash and cranberries to food processor. Add sugar, butter if using and orange peel. Process to a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 97
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 9 mg