Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Even cabbage-haters devour this pie. The secret is the long, slow sauté, which mellows the cabbage flavor. Mixed with a bit of sour cream and Cheddar and piled into a pie shell, it makes for a delicious dinner. Serve with a cold vegetable salad.
- Prepare Basic Pie Pastry, and set aside to rest 10 minutes.
- To make Filling: Warm oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Add cabbage, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook cabbage, partially covered and stirring often, 15 to 25 minutes, or until very soft, adding salt and pepper to taste. (If mixture seems too dry, add water as needed by teaspoonfuls.) Remove from heat; mix in sour cream and mustard.
- Meanwhile, roll pastry into 12-inch circle between two sheets of wax paper or plastic wrap. Peel off top sheet, and invert over 10-inch tart pan or 9-inch pie pan. Peel off second sheet, then tuck pastry into pan without stretching it, pinching overhang into an even edge. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Add cheese to filling, and stir gently. Spoon filling into pie shell, smoothing top. Sprinkle with crumbs. Bake 40 minutes, or until golden brown. (If top starts to over-brown, cover with sheet of foil.) Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Basic Pie Pastry
Makes 1 large pie crust or tart shell
This wholesome plant-oil crust tastes great, and the pastry is easy to work with. If it tears when you’re handling it, it’s a cinch to pinch it back together.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 Tbs. cold water
- Put flour and salt in large bowl; toss with fork. Make well in center; fill with oil and water. Blend briefly with fork, then—using wide, sweeping strokes—stir briskly, until evenly mixed. Dough will be dampish and oily.
- Put dough on large piece of plastic. Flatten into 3/4-inch-thick disk; wrap in plastic. Let rest 10 minutes before using.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 326
- Carbohydrate Content 31 g
- Cholesterol Content 6 mg
- Fat Content 19 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 372 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g