Wasabi gives a lively bite to this colorful salad. Either snow pea or sunflower sprouts (both available at well-stocked supermarkets) are equally good in this.
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 2 cups snow pea sprouts or sunflower sprouts
- 2 red radishes, halved and thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 medium-size oranges
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Sesame-Wasabi Dressing
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tbs. Japanese soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp. wasabi powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine cabbage, sprouts and radishes in large bowl. Remove peel and all white pith from oranges with sharp paring knife. Cut segments free from membranes, then cut segments crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces, and add to bowl.
- To make Sesame-Wasabi Dressing: Whisk all ingredients in bowl; pour over salad, and mix to wilt sprouts. Let stand 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in dry skillet over medium heat about 3 minutes, or until golden and fragrant. Sprinkle sesame seeds over salad; serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 238
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Sodium Content: 322 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g