Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Muthias are steamed Indian dumplings made with chickpea flour, spices, and vegetables. We recommend Bob’s Red Mill GF Garbanzo & Fava Flour, which has a lighter flavor than traditional chickpea flour.
1. Place garbanzo-fava flour in bowl; add coconut oil, and rub into flour with fingers until combined. Stir in ginger, chile, coriander, cumin, salt, turmeric, and cayenne pepper. Add chopped cabbage, and mix, squeezing with hands until dough forms. (Cabbage has enough moisture, so you shouldn’t need to add any other liquid.)
2. Form 1/4 cup dough into smooth, oblong shape. Repeat with remaining dough to make 12 dumplings. Line steamer with large outer cabbage leaves. Lay dumplings in single layer in insert.
3. Bring 2 inches water to a boil in wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Place steamer insert over water, cover, and steam dumplings 20 to 25 minutes, or until shiny and firm.
4. Transfer dumplings to serving plate. Sprinkle with cilantro, and serve with yogurt.
- Serving Size Makes 12 dumplings
- Calories 54
- Carbohydrate Content 7 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 161 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g