Under the spell of New Orleans’ romance, Jamie Ritchey created this recipe to replicate the tastes and smells of traditional Big Easy dishes using liquid smoke and chipotle Tabasco.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled chorizo-style soy sausage
- 2 slices veggie Canadian bacon, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 small green pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 small red pepper, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1/2 cup crumbled soy sausage
- 3 tsp. liquid smoke, divided
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. chipotle Tabasco
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add chorizo, bacon and red pepper flakes, and increase heat to medium high. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onion, peppers and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in sausage and 1 tsp. liquid smoke, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and bay leaves. Stir in vegetable stock and remaining 2 tsp. liquid smoke, and bring to a simmer. Cover pan, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 15 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Spoon into small bowls. Stir in Tabasco to taste (about 1 tsp. per serving).
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 313
- Carbohydrate Content: 47 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 549 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g