Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Under the spell of New Orleans’ romance, Jamie Ritchey created this recipe to replicate the tastes and smells of traditional Big Easy dishes using liquid smoke and chipotle Tabasco.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add chorizo, bacon and red pepper flakes, and increase heat to medium high. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add onion, peppers and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more.
- Stir in sausage and 1 tsp. liquid smoke, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add rice and bay leaves. Stir in vegetable stock and remaining 2 tsp. liquid smoke, and bring to a simmer. Cover pan, and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 15 to 25 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Spoon into small bowls. Stir in Tabasco to taste (about 1 tsp. per serving).
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 313
- Carbohydrate Content 47 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 549 mg
- Sugar Content 5 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g