You’ve done the hard work and patiently cultivated your nutritious ingredients. Now comes the fun part: using them in these tasty, spa-inspired recipes!
Makes about 2 cups. If you wish, refrigerate unused portion to top fish, chicken, or salad, or mix with veggie stock for soup.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant, diced, skin on
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 shallot, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp nasturtium leaves or petals, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 3 small tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp sea salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1⁄2 tsp tomato purée
- Rustic country bread, cut into about 1-inch slices
- 1 tbsp chopped scallions, greens only, for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 21⁄2 tbsp oil.
- Add eggplant and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant with slotted spoon to drain any excess oil and set aside in a bowl.
- Add fennel and shallot to saucepan; increase heat to medium and cook, stir- ring, 2 minutes. Cover and cook, 5 min- utes.
- Add nasturtiums and garlic. Cook uncovered, stirring, 1 minute; add tomato, vinegar, salt, and pepper and cook uncovered, 10 minutes. Return eggplant to pan; add capers and tomato purée. If mix begins to look dry, add a splash of oil. Simmer uncovered until all ingredients are soft, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat to thicken for a few minutes.
- Toast bread and scoop 2 tbsp caponata onto each slice; drizzle with remaining oil and top with scallions.
- Serving Size: 16
- Calories: 68
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g