Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Makes about 2 cups. If you wish, refrigerate unused portion to top fish, chicken, or salad, or mix with veggie stock for soup.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm 21⁄2 tbsp oil.
- Add eggplant and cook, stirring, 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 15 minutes.
- Remove eggplant with slotted spoon to drain any excess oil and set aside in a bowl.
- Add fennel and shallot to saucepan; increase heat to medium and cook, stir- ring, 2 minutes. Cover and cook, 5 min- utes.
- Add nasturtiums and garlic. Cook uncovered, stirring, 1 minute; add tomato, vinegar, salt, and pepper and cook uncovered, 10 minutes. Return eggplant to pan; add capers and tomato purée. If mix begins to look dry, add a splash of oil. Simmer uncovered until all ingredients are soft, 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat to thicken for a few minutes.
- Toast bread and scoop 2 tbsp caponata onto each slice; drizzle with remaining oil and top with scallions.
- Serving Size 16
- Calories 68
- Carbohydrate Content 10 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g