This is almost like a pie without the crust. Serve leftovers over ice cream or soy frozen dessert for a special treat.
- 1 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice or cider
- 6 medium apples, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. diced crystallized ginger
- In large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add brown sugar, and cook, stirring often, until sugar is melted and starts to caramelize, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in apple juice. Cook, stirring often, until liquid starts to thicken.
- Add apples, and cook, stirring every few minutes, until soft and coated with caramel, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in allspice, cinnamon, cranberries and lemon peel. Once cranberries begin to pop, stir in ginger. Cook until no liquid remains, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand at least 15 minutes.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 153
- Carbohydrate Content: 35 g
- Cholesterol Content: 5 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 6 mg