Secret Ingredient: aged cheese
Because aged cheeses, such as Parmesan, are relatively pungent, you don’t need much to pump up the cheesy flavor of a lower-fat variety such as mozzarella.
This pizza is great for entertaining because everything can be prepared ahead, then assembled just before baking. Since it’s just as easy to make the dough for one pizza crust as it is to make two, this recipe yields two crusts—freeze one for later.
- 2 slicesServings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 0.25-oz. envelope rapid-rise yeast
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli raab
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 slices light provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
1. To make Crust: Pulse flours, nutritional yeast, salt, and sugar in food processor until blended. Combine 3/4 cup warm (115°F) water, rapid-rise yeast, and olive oil in measuring cup. With food processor running, pour yeast-oil mixture through feed tube, and process dough until it pulls away from sides of bowl. Transfer to lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth. Spray large bowl with cooking spray, and place dough in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and let stand in warm place 1 hour, or until dough doubles in size.
2. To make Topping: coat nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-low heat. Add onion, and cook 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Cook broccoli raab in large pot of boiling salted water3 minutes. Drain, and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
4. Purée cottage cheese in food processor until smooth. Transfer to bowl, and stir in basil and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
5. Heat oven to 450°F. Coat perforated pizza pan or round baking pan with cooking spray. Punch down dough; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Wrap one half in plastic and freeze for another use. Roll dough into 12-inch circle. Transfer to prepared pan, and prick with fork. Bake 7 minutes, or until golden around edges. Spread with cottage cheese mixture, top with provolone, broccoli raab, onion, and tomatoes. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more, or until cheese has melted.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 323
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Cholesterol Content: 28 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 24 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 940 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g