You can caramelize the onions 1 day ahead and refrigerate them in a sealed container.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 large white onions, peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped golden raisins
- Salt or freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until just turning color. Add sugar and continue to cook until onions are a rich, golden brown and very soft, 15 to 20 minutes total. If onions are browning too quickly, add 1 tablespoon water. Stir in vinegar and raisins and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Complement this recipe with a rich Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah.
- Serving Size: MAKES ABOUT 11/2 CUPS