Think of this tart as an homage to students’ penchant for pizza.
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 16-oz. pkg. ready-to-bake pizza dough, such as Trader Joe’s
- 1 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated aged provolone cheese
- 20 niçoise or 10 kalamata olives, pitted and halved (2 Tbs.)
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and sprinkle with salt, if desired. Sauté 5 to 7 minutes, or until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low, and stir in thyme and black pepper. Cook 15 minutes more, or until onions are browned and caramelized, stirring often. Stir in vinegar, and cook 5 minutes more. Remove from heat.
2. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat 12-inch pizza pan or rectangular baking sheet with cooking spray. Press dough into 10-inch circle on pizza pan or baking sheet. Sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella and 1/4 cup provolone over dough. Spread onions over top, then sprinkle with remaining cheese and olives. Bake 20 minutes, or until crust is golden.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 287
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 13 mg
- Fat Content: 11 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 627 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g