Kielbasa-style vegetarian sausages are perfect with the onion-apple sauté. We loved this recipe made with an amber lager, such as Negro Modelo, Dos Equis or Märzen (March) beer. Serve over noodles tossed with poppy seeds.
- 8 soy kielbasa “sausages” (2 to 3 oz. each)
- 2 Tbs. soy margarine
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored; each sliced into 10 pieces
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1/2 cup amber lager beer or pale ale, room temperature
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Broil, grill or boil “sausages” according to package directions. Keep warm until needed.
- Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium-high heat, and add 1 Tbs. soy margarine. Add apples, and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add thyme, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer apples to bowl.
- Return skillet to burner, and add remaining margarine and oil. Add onions, and cook over medium-high heat 10 to 15 minutes, until onions are caramelized. Add sautéed apples, beer, sugar and vinegar, and stir to blend well. Cook until liquid is reduced and begins to thicken, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon onto platter, and top with “sausages.”
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 455
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Fat Content: 18 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 27 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 801 mg
- Sugar Content: 33 g