These sweet-salty nuts make fabulous nibblers as well as a topping for salads. You can add more kick by sprinkling on a little curry powder during the last few seconds of cooking.
- 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil or ghee
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbs. sugar
- Tiny pinch of asafetida (optional)
- Seasoned salt to taste
- In small skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add cumin and asafetida if desired and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add walnuts and cook, stirring often, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar and a little seasoned salt. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring, until nuts are coated with sugar, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat (sugar will burn if it continues to cook) and transfer to plate. Cool completely before using.
- Serving Size: makes one-half cup
- Calories: 57
- Carbohydrate Content: 3 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg