Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Make this recipe once and preparing fresh artichokes will never feel like a chore again. Snapping off the leaves goes quickly, and scraping out the chokes is easy when you use a sturdy soup spoon.
- Pulse parsley, lemon zest, and garlic in food processor until finely chopped. Add olive oil, salt, and pepper, and pulse until paste forms. Set aside.
- Combine lemon juice and 6 cups water in bowl. Break off tough outer leaves of each artichoke until cone of pale green leaves appears. Cut off 1 to 1 1/2 inches of central cone of leaves. Trim away first 3 rows of outer leaves at base of artichoke with knife, and pare down stem to white center. Pull out pointed leaves in center of each artichoke. Scrape out hairy choke with spoon. Dunk artichokes in lemon water to prevent discoloration.
- Drain artichokes, reserving 2 cups lemon water. Rub parsley mixture over outsides and insides of artichokes and place stem side up in Dutch oven or large stainless steel saucepan. Add reserved lemon water and enough water to come 1 inch up sides of artichokes. Cover, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 to 45 minutes, or until very tender. Transfer to serving plate, reserve juice from pan in small bowl, and cool until just warm. Serve warm or at room temperature drizzled with pan juices.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 147
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 307 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g