30 minutes or less
The creamy texture of this colorful soup does not come from heavy cream, but rather from a combination of pureed vegetables and soy milk that thickens the soup without adding fat. This soup can be served hot or cold.
Meal Plan: Complete this meal with a chopped vegetable salad made of yellow or orange bell pepper, cucumber and tomato (or veggies of your choice) served in whole wheat pita pockets topped with your favorite dressing.
- 2 lbs. carrots, peeled
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (11/2 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, plus 2 whole cloves garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 11/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 baguette, thinly sliced (12 slices)
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- Process carrots in food processor until finely chopped.
- In large saucepan, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and minced garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 minutes. Add chopped carrots and cook 3 minutes. Stir in broth, apple juice and dill. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender, 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile make croutons: In heavy medium skillet, heat remaining oil. In batches, cook baguette slices until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove croutons from skillet and rub each slice with whole garlic.
- Season soup to taste with salt and white pepper. Remove pan from heat and stir in soy milk.
- In blender or food processor, puree soup, in batches if necessary, until smooth. Serve with croutons.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 231
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 289 mg