Toasted fennel seeds perfectly complement sweet carrots, apples and sweet potatoes, while fresh lemon juice adds a nice tang in this brilliantly colored soup.
- 2 Tbs. minced cilantro or parsley
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. fennel seeds
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. carrots, sliced
- 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbs. white or brown basmati rice or regular long-grain rice
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric or curry powder
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add fennel seeds and toast until darkened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple, carrots and sweet potatoes and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice, turmeric, stock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain vegetables and reserve broth. Discard bay leaf. Transfer vegetables and small amounts of reserved broth in batches to food processor and purée until smooth. Return puréed soup and any remaining reserved broth to soup pot. Simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 195
- Carbohydrate Content: 37 g
- Cholesterol Content: 6 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 670 mg