Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This beautifully colored fondue is best with large, fresh organic carrots because they have so much flavor. You will find assorted flavors of baked tofu and tempeh from which to choose, so select your favorite.
1. Peel, slice and cook carrots until soft. Drain, and purée in batches in blender until very smooth.
2. Add tofu, ground cashews and 1/4 cup rice milk to carrot mixture and process until blended; do this in batches, if necessary. Add salt, pepper and remaining rice milk, and process again. Add lime juice and mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in skillet and sauté tempeh until crisp and brown. Set aside. Repeat with baked tofu. Keep warm until serving time or reheat in oven.
4. Before serving, place carrot-cashew mixture in saucepan and heat over medium until boiling. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Thin with more rice milk, if needed.
5. Transfer carrot-cashew mixture to fondue pot or crockpot. Keep fondue warm over alcohol burner or in crockpot on lowest setting. Serve with selection of accompaniments.
The German word “trocken” indicates dry wines and the word “spätlese” indicates later-harvest, slightly sweet wines. For this fondue: Hans Lang Weissburgunder Spätlese Trocken.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 16 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 610 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g