We’ve simplified the Sabich without sacrificing an ounce of flavor by deconstructing it and subbing in gently roasted eggplant. Nosh away.
- Heat oven to 425°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, arrange eggplant and chickpeas in a single layer. Drizzle with oil, sprinkle with shawarma seasoning, and toss. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing again halfway, until chickpeas are browned and eggplant is tender. Let cool.
- Reduce oven to 400°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, arrange pita. Mist with cooking spray, and sprinkle with za’atar seasoning. Bake for 6–7 minutes, until lightly browned.
- In a small food processor or blender, combine yogurt, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and 2 tbsp water until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine lettuce, tomatoes, onion, parsley, cucumber, eggplant, chickpeas, egg, and pita. (Alternatively, arrange ingredients in rows on a platter.) Drizzle or toss with dressing.
From Clean Eating
- Serving Size 2 3⁄4 cups
- Calories 380
- Carbohydrate Content 43 g
- Cholesterol Content 190 mg
- Fat Content 17 g
- Fiber Content 11 g
- Protein Content 18 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 279 mg
- Sugar Content 8 g
- Monounsaturated Fat Content 7 g
- Polyunsaturated Fat Content 3 g