Here are sophisticated mashed potatoes with a hint of celery flavor and a wonderfully creamy texture. The purée is ethereal on its own, but it also makes a perfect companion for vegetable stews.
- 10 cups water
- 1 Tbs. plus 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 lb. celery root, peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 lbs. boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- In large saucepan, bring 10 cups water to a boil with 1 tablespoon salt over medium heat. Add celery root, and cook for 15 minutes. Add potatoes and garlic cloves. Continue to cook for 15 minutes longer, or until celery root and potatoes are tender.
- Drain vegetables in colander, reserving about 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Transfer vegetables to bowl, and mash with butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of reserved water to make mixture creamy. Serve immediately.
If the purée is standing on its own, there are many wine varieties that will pair with this yummy, mouth-watering, earthy dish: sparkling wines from Spain or Italy, white varieties such as Riesling, Chardonnay and Semillon or red varieties such as Pinot Noir and Syrah/Shiraz. Base your wine choice on other dishes being served. Experiment!
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 1320 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g