Pearl barley has been polished to remove the outer hull (the same way white rice has had its hull removed) and to make the grain more tender and easier to cook. Serve this stew with a sprinkling of your favorite vegan cheese.
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb. Swiss chard, leaves and stems separated and chopped
- 2 medium leeks, halved lengthwise, light green and white parts sliced 1/2-inch thick (2 cups)
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup medium pearled barley
- 1 cup frozen baby lima beans
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in chard stems, leeks, carrots, celery, and nutmeg. Cook 7 to 9 minutes, or until vegetables release juices but are still brightly colored, stirring often.
- Add broth, barley, and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add lima beans and chard leaves. Simmer 10 minutes more, or until lima beans are tender.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 186
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 278 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g