You can char the eggplantsand the peppers and garlicon the grill over hot coals or under the broiler.
- 8 Japanese eggplants (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, roasted, peeled and mashed
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh coriander
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp. cumin seed, toasted and ground
- 2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Char eggplants directly over flame on all sides. Place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 10 minutes. Carefully peel off charred skin. Roughly chop eggplants and place in glass bowl with remaining ingredients. Season to taste.
Rich, aromatic whites like Viognier or soft reds like Sangiovese, Pinot Noir or Syrah would go nicely with this dish and its diverse flavors.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 130
- Carbohydrate Content: 19 g
- Fat Content: 6 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 190 mg