Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
If traditional fruitcake is not to your liking, try this festive bread filled with dried fruit and nuts. It makes a wonderful gift packed into a box and wrapped with French silk ribbon.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer at low speed, blend in butter.
- In small bowl, mix eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Add to flour mixture and beat just until blended. Gather dough into a ball, dust with flour, flatten into disk and wrap well. Refrigerate overnight.
- Filling: In food processor, combine all ingredients, except egg white, and process until coarsely chopped and blended. Cover and let sit overnight at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease baking sheet. Roll dough out between two sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper into an 18 x 9-inch rectangle. Remove top sheet. Trim a
- Spoon filling in a 2-inch wide strip lengthwise down center of dough. Lift plastic wrap at one long edge and fold dough over half of filling. Fold the other side over filling and press edges together to seal. Invert seam-side down onto prepared baking sheet; remove plastic. Pinch the two ends together to form a ring.
- With sharp knife or small cookie cutter, cut out reserved trimmings in leaf shapes. Brush bread ring with egg white and decorate with cut out dough. Brush with egg white again.
- Bake until lightly golden, 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer to wire rack and let cool completely.
- Serving Size 12 Servings
- Calories 327
- Carbohydrate Content 48 g
- Cholesterol Content 46 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 57 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g