These dense treats showcase how nicely chocolate, dried fruit, and nuts pair with wines (and one another).
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup shelled toasted pistachios, chopped
- 8 dates, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fine whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest, dried
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup agave nectar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 9-inch-square pan with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper. Spray again.
2. Combine almonds, pistachios, dates, apricots, figs, cherries, flour, breadcrumbs, cocoa, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt in bowl.
3. Bring agave nectar and sugar to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir oil, then agave nectar mixture into fruit-and-nut mixture. Transfer to prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake 50 minutes, or until mixture is done on sides but still soft in center—it will firm up completely once it cools. Cool, then cover with foil, and let rest overnight. Unmold, remove parchment, and cut into squares.
- Serving Size: Makes 36 squares
- Calories: 98
- Carbohydrate Content: 20 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 9 mg
- Sugar Content: 16 g