For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
These dense treats showcase how nicely chocolate, dried fruit, and nuts pair with wines (and one another).
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 9-inch-square pan with cooking spray, and line with parchment paper. Spray again.
2. Combine almonds, pistachios, dates, apricots, figs, cherries, flour, breadcrumbs, cocoa, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt in bowl.
3. Bring agave nectar and sugar to a boil in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir oil, then agave nectar mixture into fruit-and-nut mixture. Transfer to prepared pan, and smooth top. Bake 50 minutes, or until mixture is done on sides but still soft in center—it will firm up completely once it cools. Cool, then cover with foil, and let rest overnight. Unmold, remove parchment, and cut into squares.
- Serving Size Makes 36 squares
- Calories 98
- Carbohydrate Content 20 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 2 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 9 mg
- Sugar Content 16 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g