Baked all at once in a single pan, bars are a convenient alternative to individual cookies. These bars are similar to old-fashioned, chewy oatmeal cookies, but they are more healthful than traditional recipes because they include tofu, rather than butter, plus whole wheat flour and nutty wheat germ.
- 3/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup walnut halves or pieces (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup low-fat silken tofu
- 1 large egg or equivalent egg substitute
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place raisins (or dried cranberries) in small bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside to plump for 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using walnuts, spread in small baking pan and toast in oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine both flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Drain raisins (or dried cranberries). Coarsely chop walnuts if using. Set aside.
- In food processor, process tofu until smooth. Add egg, oil, both sugars and vanilla. Process until mixture is smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula. Add reserved flour mixture, raisins (or dried cranberries) and walnuts; pulse on/off several times just until dry ingredients are moistened. Using a spatula, scrape batter into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- Bake until light golden and firm to the touch, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. (Bars will keep, well-wrapped at room temperature, for up to 3 days, or in freezer for up to 4 months.)
- Serving Size: 24 Bars
- Calories: 104
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 9 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 55 mg