For exclusive access to all our stories, including sequences, teacher tips, video classes, and more, join Outside+ today.
- Roast peppers on a baking sheet in a 400-degree oven, turning until skin is evenly browned, about 40 minutes. Cool completely before peeling and seeding. Two 8-ounce jars of roasted peppers also work well here, so feel free to substitute.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over the medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the chickpeas and rosemary, mixing well. Add broth and bay leaves.
- Purée the red peppers in a food processor or blender. Stir into the soup, cove, and simmer gently over medium-low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and season to taste the salt and pepper. Just before serving, garnish the soup with chopped fresh parsley, if you’d like.