Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The inspiration for this salad came one day while I was making hummus. I decided that it would be interesting to make a salad out of the chickpeas rather than pureeing them. The following “deconstructed” hummus salad was born. The flavors come together nicely and get an authentic Middle-Eastern accent from the cumin and cilantro.
1. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Fill large bowl with ice water.
2. In medium skillet over medium heat, toast sesame seeds, cumin seeds and salt until fragrant, shaking pan occasionally, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small plate and set aside to cool.
3. Add cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, celery and onion to boiling water and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, plunge into ice water and drain well.
4. In large serving bowl, combine cooked vegetables, toasted seeds, chickpeas, bell pepper, scallions and cilantro. Add dressing and toss to coat.
- Serving Size 6 servings
- Calories 184
- Carbohydrate Content 22 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 645 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g