Recipe by Natural Gourmet Institute
- Makes about 1 cup)Servings
For the salad:
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked for 8 hours or overnight
- 1 quart water or stock
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 bunch arugula, cleaned and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup sesame-garlic dressing (recipe below)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
For the dressing:
- 1 head garlic, roasted and peeled
- 1/2 cup apple juice or cider
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
1. Place chickpeas, water or stock, cumin and salt in a small size pressure cooker or stockpot.
2. Over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer (20-30 minutes in a pressure cooker) or (45 minutes in a stockpot, adding water as needed). When beans are tender, remove from pot and drain.
3. To make dressing, combine all ingredients (except salt) in a blender. Blend to a creamy consistency. Season with sea salt.
4. While beans are still warm, toss with ¼ cup dressing.
5. Let beans come to room temperature. Add Arugula, olives parsley and basil to salad right before servings. Season with salt and pepper to taste.