Makes about 9 burgers
Serve these hearty but low-fat burgers on a wheat roll with thinly sliced onion, watercress, sweet mustard and whatever other toppings inspire you.
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame tahini
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup plain dry breadcrumbs
- Salt to taste
- In small saucepan, bring couscous and water to a boil; turn off heat, cover and let stand until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1 cup couscous and save remaining for another use.
- Meanwhile, steam broccoli until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from steamer and set aside to cool.
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line large cookie sheet with foil, then dust with breadcrumbs.
- In food processor or blender, combine couscous, broccoli, onions, chickpeas and tahini. Process until blended, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl when necessary. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Gradually add 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Add enough additional bread crumbs until mixture is stiff enough to form into patties but still moist. Season with salt.
- Shape mixture into 3-inch patties (1/2-inch thick). Put patties on prepared cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned on both sides about 50 minutes, turning once halfway. They can be served at this point or grilled or broiled until crispy for 1 or 2 minutes per side.
- Calories: 165
- Carbohydrate Content: 28 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 229 mg