The owner of a local Indian restaurant taught me how to grind tomato, ginger and onion together and sauté them with curry spices to make an authentic saucy dal. To simplify this recipe, use ready-made curry powder instead of the various spices. For the best results, make sure the curry powder is fresh. Serve over brown basmati rice, and garnish with cilantro and slivers of ginger.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbs. curry powder, or to taste
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1. Put tomatoes, onion and ginger in food processor, and purée until smooth.
2. Transfer mixture to large skillet, stir in curry powder, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to low, and stir in chickpeas. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Season with salt to taste. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 14 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 420 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g