A vegetarian with a nonveg husband, Vivian Larsen, who won second place in VT's 2009 Reader Recipe Contest for this recipe, started adapting Pennsylvania Dutch recipes familiar from her mate's childhood to win him over: "I tried this recipe out twice before taking it to a Christmas party for his family, where it got rave reviews."
- slice or individual pieServings
- 2 Tbs. grape seed oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (11/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, diced (1 cup)
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 15-oz. can Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbs. dried parsley
- 1 Tbs. dried rubbed sage
- 1 Tbs. dried marjoram
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 16-oz. pkg. pot pie or egg noodles
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- 2 Tbs. whole-wheat flour
- 4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 15 minutes, or until onion browns. Stir in garlic, then celery and carrots; sauté 5 minutes.
2. Stir in 5 cups broth, corn, chickpeas, parsley, sage, marjoram, and bay leaves; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in noodles, and cook 5 minutes, or until noodles are tender. Remove bay leaves.
3. Whisk together cornstarch, flour, and remaining 1 cup broth. Stir cornstarch mixture, cream cheese, and Parmesan into vegetable mixture.
Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Remove from heat, and cool. Stir in peas and green beans.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F. Place puff pastry on top of vegetable mixture in Dutch oven, tucking in sides. Or, to make individual pot pies, divide vegetable mixture among 12 small pie dishes. Roll out puff pastry sheet into large square, and cut into 12 small squares. Drape each square over filling, tucking in sides. Pierce top or tops in several places with knife to allow steam to escape. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until crust is flaky and brown.
- Serving Size: Serves 12
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrate Content: 52 g
- Cholesterol Content: 37 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 330 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g