This hearty soup is packed with fiber yet is low-fat and low-calorie. And the dollop of bright Red Pepper Paste gives it a subtle, spicy warmth.
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking fine- or medium-grain bulgur wheat
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled red lentils
- 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbs. Red Pepper Paste (see recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. dried mint
- 1 tsp. paprika or Aleppo pepper
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil over medium heat. Stir in the bulgur wheat and red lentils, cover the pan, reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the grains are tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas, lemon juice, Red Pepper Paste, garlic, salt and pepper. Add about 4 cups more water, stirring well, and cook for 5 minutes more, or until heated through.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, and stir in the mint and paprika. Ladle the soup into bowls, and garnish with mint mixture.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 150
- Carbohydrate Content: 25 g
- Cholesterol Content: 10 mg
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 150 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g