The trick to turning out light and tender muffins is to not work the batter too hard. Mix the ingredients just until blended.
- 4-oz. can chopped green chilies
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup soy milk or skim milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a standard 12-muffin pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, both sugars, baking powder and salt. In medium bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Make well in dry ingredients. Add milk mixture and stir until just blended.
- Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly pressed. Let cool in the pan 5 minutes, then loosen edges and turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
- Serving Size: Makes 12 muffins
- Calories: 81
- Carbohydrate Content: 14 g
- Cholesterol Content: 22 mg
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 9 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 234 mg