This is a twist on the Vietnamese Bun Thit Nuong noodle dish.
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 1 red jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 8 oz. dried rice-stick noodles
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 English cucumber, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, crushed, optional
- To make Dressing: Warm all ingredients in saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Cool.
- To make Salad: Soak noodles in hot water 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Cook carrot in pot of boiling water 30 seconds. Transfer to colander with slotted spoon, and rinse under cold water. Add noodles to water and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Transfer to colander with carrots, and rinse under cold water. Drain, and chill.
- Toss noodle mixture with lettuce, basil, mint, and 1/2 cup Dressing. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cucumber slices, bean sprouts, and green onion. Arrange mango slices on top, and drizzle with remaining Dressing. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 269
- Carbohydrate Content: 62 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 359 mg
- Sugar Content: 26 g