An oversize beef chimichanga at a restaurant can pack 800 calories and 46 grams of fatenough to feed three people! Our low-fat, high-flavor version of the Mexican specialty is a guilt-free indulgence. Heating the tortillas makes them easier to roll.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. fat-free ground soy "meat"
- 14.5-oz. can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. chopped roasted jalapeno pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 6 medium (7 1/2-inch) fat-free flour tortillas
- Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet once with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray and place over low heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until just softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds.
- Add soy "meat," breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Stir in tomatoes, roasted jalapeno, chili powder and cumin. Mix well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stack tortillas, wrap in foil and bake until warm and pliable, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, using tongs, heat each tortilla over an open flame.)
- Place tortillas on work surface and spoon about 3/4 cup "meat" filling in center of each. Fold in sides and roll up, jelly-roll style. Place on prepared baking sheet, seam side down. Bake until chimichangas are lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Serve hot with salsa.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 262
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Sodium Content: 540 mg