30 MINUTES OR LESS
This spicy chili really warms the bones on a cold evening. Chipotle powder is made from smoked jalapeño peppers. Look for it in specialty gourmet stores. To make the chili milder, omit the chipotle powder and reduce the chili powder to two teaspoons.
MEAL PLAN: Delicious with cornbread. Add a tossed green salad with low-fat bottled cilantro dressing.
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chile powder or to taste
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 (15-oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and corn and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Stir in chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin and oregano and cook 1 minute. Stir in beans, tomatoes and 3/4 cup water.
- Reduce heat, partially cover pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. If chili becomes too thick, add 1/4 cup hot water. Add salt and pepper to taste. If desired, sprinkle chili with shredded cheese before serving.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 341
- Carbohydrate Content: 63 g
- Fat Content: 2 g
- Fiber Content: 21 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Sodium Content: 25 mg