To make this salad exceptionally easy, use prepackaged organic romaine hearts and the long crostini-shaped packaged croutons that come in clear cellophane bags.
- SERVING WITH DRESSINGServings
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Tbs. tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle pepper
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 romaine hearts, rinsed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- Creamy Lime-Cheddar Dressing (see recipe below)
- 1 11-oz. pkg. croutons
- In large bowl, whisk together 2 Tbs. olive oil, tamari, lime juice and chipotle pepper. Season mushrooms with salt and pepper, and brush with chipotle mixture. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Coat large skillet with nonstick cooking spray, add remaining 1 Tbs. of oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and tender. Transfer mushrooms to cutting board, let cool slightly and cut diagonally into thin slices.
- In large bowl, toss romaine with Creamy Lime-Cheddar Dressing. Transfer lettuce to serving platter, and top with mushrooms and croutons.
Creamy Lime-Cheddar Dressing
Makes about 2/3 cup 30 minutes or fewer
- 2 green onions (white and most of green parts), chopped
- 1 Tbs. white miso or 1 tsp. vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium-sized clove garlic
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soymilk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated aged white cheddar cheese or soy cheddar cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In food processor or blender, combine onions, miso, garlic, lime juice, soymilk, olive oil and cheese, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to small bowl, and season to taste with black pepper.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 520
- Carbohydrate Content: 42 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 32 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 16 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g