- 1/3 cup soy margarine, melted
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs or 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbs. grated orange zest, optional
- 1 15.5-oz. can black beans, drained, rinsed and puréed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup soy margarine
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4 Tbs. frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 12 chocolate kisses
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line 12 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- To make Cupcakes: Using electric mixer on high, beat margarine, sugar and eggs for 3 minutes, or until thick and creamy.
- Fold vanilla extract and orange zest, if using, into puréed beans. In small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
- Fold egg mixture into beans, then fold flour mixture into beans by thirds. Fill cupcake tins two-thirds full. Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove, and cool on rack.
- Meanwhile, to make Frosting: Using electric mixer, beat margarine until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar then juice concentrate until smooth. If too stiff, add 1 tsp. water at a time. Tint with food coloring, if desired. Top each cupcake with 2 tsp. frosting and a candy kiss.
- Serving Size: MAKES 12 CUPCAKES
- Calories: 385
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Cholesterol Content: 35 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 280 mg
- Sugar Content: 44 g