Even our testers who said they don’t like the classic chocolate-cherry combo reached for seconds of these! For a festive brunch or a lazy Sunday breakfast, start a day ahead so you can serve the rolls right from the oven.
- 1 0.25-oz. pkg. yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbs. sugar
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose or bread flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped, or 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen pitted cherries, drained, or 1 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1. Dissolve yeast and 1 Tbs. sugar in 1 cup warm water. Let stand 5 minutes, or until water is cloudy and smells yeasty.
2. Sift remaining sugar, flour, cocoa and salt in large mixing bowl. Add water and yeast to flour mixture, and stir with wooden spoon or spatula until smooth dough forms. Fold in butter. Transfer dough to well-floured work surface, and knead 7 to 10 minutes, or process 3 minutes in food processor, or until dough is smooth and elastic and no longer sticks to your hands.
3. Pat dough into 10-inch square. Place chocolate pieces and cherries in center of square, then fold in sides like an envelope. Press edges to seal. Gently knead dough 10 to 12 times, or until chocolate and cherries are evenly distributed throughout. Transfer to oiled bowl, cover with clean dishtowel, and let rise 1 1/2 hours in warm place.
4. Punch down dough. Cover and store in refrigerator overnight, if desired, or place on well-floured work surface. Roll into thick log, then cut log into 16 equal rounds. Roll each round into a tight ball, and place on baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Repeat with remaining dough. Set baking sheet in warm place, and let rolls rise 30 to 45 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake rolls 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops appear dry and centers spring back when touched. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: Makes 16 rolls
- Calories: 141
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Cholesterol Content: 4 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 147 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g