Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
An elegant and ultra-rich dessert, this filo surprise will delight chocoholics. Save it for a celebratory occasion when you want to pull out all the stops.
- To make Filling: Melt chocolate in double boiler over hot but not boiling water. Remove from heat. Using an electric beater, mix in hot water and butter. Stir in egg yolks, sugar, flour and vanilla. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and pinch salt until stiff.Mix some beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture.Fold chocolate into egg whites. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 8×8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make Filo: Remove 8 to 10 sheets filo from package, covering remaining filo with plastic wrap. Cut filo to fit pan. Spray every sheet or every other sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or brush with butter as you place them in pan. Spread chocolate mixture on top of filo layers. Remove another 10 to 14 sheets filo from package, and top filling with remaining filo, spraying or brushing sheets as before.
- Bake for 40 minutes.Let cool about 1 hour before serving. Serve warm on individual plates dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Place each square in center of plate, dust with additional confectioners’ sugar, garnish with berries and squirt dollop of whipped cream on side, if using.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 310
- Carbohydrate Content 38 g
- Cholesterol Content 105 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 9 g
- Sodium Content 110 mg
- Sugar Content 23 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g