Mascarpone, a buttery-rich fresh cow’s-milk cheese, is a favorite throughout Italy. Look for it in the cheese section of large supermarkets or Italian markets. You can make the torte well ahead of time and freeze it–simply cool, cover with plastic wrap, place in a large plastic freezer bag and freeze up to 6 weeks. Thaw completely in the refrigerator overnight for serving.
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 oz. mascarpone cheese, at room temperature (1/2 cup)
- 5 Tbs. unsalted butter or margarine
- 8-oz. bittersweet chocolate, broken into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9-inch round tart pan with removable bottom and set aside.
- In small, heavy saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and vanilla on medium speed, 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and beat 1 minute. Beat in chocolate mixture, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula. Reduce mixer speed to low. Beat in flour and salt until just blended. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Place cheese in small bowl and stir well with fork. Drop by teaspoonfuls randomly over surface of batter in pan. Using a sharp knife, swirl cheese mixture into chocolate mixture to create marbled effect.
- Bake until just set in center, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer pan to wire rack to cool completely. Remove side of pan, cut into wedges and serve.
- Serving Size: 12 servings
- Calories: 212
- Carbohydrate Content: 21 g
- Cholesterol Content: 53 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 8 g
- Sodium Content: 64 mg