Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This superb cake offers rich, chocolaty flavor in every bite, but with surprisingly little fat and few calories. To melt chocolate, place it in the top of a double boiler over barely simmering water. When its halfway melted, remove the top of the pan from the heat and stir until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans. Dust with flour, shaking out excess.
- In large bowl, whisk together tofu, maple syrup, espresso, water, rum and vanilla until smooth.
- In another large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to tofu mixture and mix until smooth. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake until cakes are springy to the touch, about 15 minutes. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks to cool completely.
- Make rum syrup: In small saucepan, stir together all ingredients. Heat over low heat 3 minutes. Using pastry brush, spread warm syrup over top of cakes.
- Make frosting: In blender or food processor, combine all ingredients until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread with half the frosting. Top with second layer. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Garnish with chocolate curls if desired.
- Serving Size Serves 12
- Calories 262
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 185 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g