Baby food is the secret ingredient that keeps these cookies rich tasting and dense without butter or eggs. A large dose of vanilla extract helps bring out the chocolate flavor.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 5 Tbs. prune-oatmeal baby food
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in bowl. Heat chocolate and oil in glass measuring cup in microwave on medium power 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until melted. Stir in baby food and vanilla, then stir into flour mixture. If dough is too crumbly to hold together, add 1 Tbs. more baby food.
- Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Press with bottom of drinking glass to flatten. Bake 12 minutes, or until small cracks form on cookie tops. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet; transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Serving Size: Makes 16 cookies
- Calories: 94
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 80 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g