The roasted barley in flavorful black stouts gives it a depth that makes it a favorite for baking. This moist cake is a delicious teatime treat; for dessert, serve it with berries and ice cream.
- 2/3 cup stout, such as Darcy's Dublin Stout or Samuel Smith Imperial Stout
- 10 Tbs. unsalted butter (1 stick plus 2 Tbs.)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large whole egg plus 1 yolk
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter 8-inch round cake pan. Line with parchment or wax paper. Butter paper.
- Bring stout and butter to a simmer in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa; whisk until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend; set aside.
- Beat egg, yolk and sour cream with electric mixer in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture, and beat just to combine.
- Add flour mixture and beat 30 seconds on slowest speed. Fold batter using rubber spatula until completely combined; pour into prepared pan.
- Bake about 50 to 55 minutes, or until tester inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Transfer to rack; cool 10 minutes. Run small sharp knife around edge of cake to loosen and turn cake out onto rack; cool completely. Sift confectioners’ sugar over top, transfer to platter and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 333
- Carbohydrate Content: 44 g
- Cholesterol Content: 83 mg
- Fat Content: 15 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg
- Sugar Content: 29 g