30 minutes or fewer
Tempeh “bacon,” avocado and chickpeas turn this salad into a protein-packed main dish. We like LightLife’s Organic Tempeh Fakin’ Bacon Strips. Meal Plan: To round out this salad, serve with some crusty rolls. It’s also great alongside veggie burgers.
- 1/2 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1/2 cup extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tsp. low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp. tahini
- 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 2 Tbs. grated carrots
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tempeh “bacon” (about 2 strips)
- 4 cups chopped or julienned romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup seeded, diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup sliced Belgian endive
- Make Vinaigrette: In food processor or blender, combine carrot juice, tofu, tamari, tahini, vinegar and oil and process until blended. Transfer to bowl and stir in grated carrots. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Lightly coat small, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add diced “bacon” and cook, stirring often, until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer tempeh to plate.
- In large bowl, combine lettuce, tomato, avocado, chickpeas, cucumber, endive and 1/2 cup dressing. Toss to mix. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Sprinkle with tempeh “bacon” and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 110 mg